Thursday, May 7, 2009

Following A Dream


When you're a kid, people ask you all the time, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I think grown ups do it to see what kind of kid they're talking to. A driven kid: "I want to be an astronaut." A creative kid: "I want to be a banana!" A lazy kid: "I want to just watch TV all day." Or maybe to see what a kid is interested in: "I want to be a football player!"
Well, I hated getting asked that question. I didn't know. Until I started dancing. I could see myself dancing forever. I wanted to dance in the Rockettes. I wanted to be a Kilgore Rangerette. I wanted to be on Broadway. I loved it! So when someone would ask me want I wanted to be, I wanted to be a dancer.
As I got older, I realized I couldn't do it. I wasn't cut throat enough. I wasn't good enough either. But I could teach. I was good enough for that.
But as time went on, I married a military man, we lived in Alaska, and I had babies. I have always missed that part of me... but just accepted that it was gone.
Until now.
There was a strange rumor going around after the Doodlebug's recital that the dance teacher was leaving. After a little investigation, I found out it wasn't a rumor. She WAS leaving. And the dream began to arise again in my gut. Could I teach dance here? Am I too old? Am I too out of touch?
The answer... YES! Yes, I can teach dance! Yes, I'm old! Yes, I'm out of touch! And YES! I'm terrified of the thought of all those Mommies and Daddies seeing me in a leotard! But I'm going to do it anyway!
Look out world! Here I come! (I'm the one stuffed into my too tight leotard hiding in the back of the room!)

6 comments:

Wencked said...

You go girl...teach all those little ones to love dance like you did and you will be the best teacher ever!

Mama On The Move said...

That is so awesome! I was watching Katie's dance class last week and I thought, "WHY didn't I continue on with my dancing? I could at least have been a teacher!"

Chera said...

WHOOP!!!!!

militarywifeandmomof4 said...

How cool! :) I am excited for you.

Nicole said...

Way to girl! Follow your dreams.

Caseybones said...

Woo hoo! Do it! Do it! Do it!