Friday, April 3, 2009

Experimenting in the Orchard

Dr. Pecan wants to try an experiment, and until lately, hasn't had any volunteers. Oh! Me! Pick me! Me! Over here! I love experiments! We'll do it!

... what do you want me to do?

Cut down trees? Huh? Hmmmm. Well... now I can see why he hasn't had any volunteers.


Dr. Pecan has an idea. He thinks that if we cut a pecan tree down to the ground, and let it grow a few sprouts, we'll be able to graft a new tree onto it as opposed to planting a brand new baby tree or trying to graft big limbs. Sounds like a plan. And I have LOTS of trees that are in the wrong place. I have a row of this with some of that in there. Or some of that with a little of this in there. I'd really like to see them all be the same variety as I walk down the row. So we're going to give it a try.

The Nutty Papa is an expert at cutting down trees. He's cut a few in his time. He is an Aggie you know. He went to "cut" for bonfire. This is easier though. It's with a chainsaw. So he cut down 8 trees for us last weekend.

He was closely supervised.

And everyone did their part cleaning up the tree.

Gulp. And here's what's left.
-sigh- I hope this works!

1 comment:

Mama On The Move said...

I'm glad you're posting regularly again! I've missed you!