Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My Guilty Pleasure

I love Christmas cards! I send out my share of them too. Every year I look forward to filling up my Christmas card wreath. I almost run to the mailbox! And when I have to take it down, I feel a little sadness. Today's the day. But before I do, I thought I'd share with you some of the fun... relive it again.

This is my Christmas card wreath. My good friend Amy bought it for me when we were living in Alaska. We were shopping at Santa's House in the North Pole and I saw it. Later that day, she gave it to me as a house warming gift. And it warms my heart and home to this day.

In fact, hers is one of the Christmas cards I enjoy getting the most. She always sends two: one serious and one fun. That's the kind of gal she is. I imagine she'd rather just send the fun one but doesn't want to offend the serious readers she gets. So she humors everyone. (Here she's bragging about their recent move to Hawaii... pfft!)

Sometimes I get cards from friends telling me they've moved. And if I'm lucky, I get to see a picture of the family on their new porch!

Other times, I get pictures of my friend's kids and its a surprise. "They had another one?!? How exciting!"

Maybe I'll get a card from someone who shared our Santa. Remember my friendly cotton pickin' neighbor's muddy day? They clean up well!

This is a busy time of our lives... those of us with small children. And so we don't get to see each other too often. I love getting the cards that remind me so much of my girlfriend... "Man does she ever look like her Mom!"

Don't get me wrong. I love the non-picture cards too. They are often breath takingly beautiful with a great message of the season.

And I love people's creativity. I loved this one! It made me laugh. These friends are always so creative with their card too!

And once in a while I get a card from someone I haven't heard from in years and years and years. Those cards where I look and think, "Who IS that?" And when I realize it's a friend from high school, what a thrill! Especially to see how happy they are!

My favorite this year was from my sister. She dropped everything in her life to pursue a life long dream... working at Disney World. (or is it land... I can never remember.) Anyway, she gave up her teaching in Washington state and headed south. I think that's a great story! Knowing what you want from life and going after it! She's happily working at Disney and living her dream.
I love getting Christmas cards and updates! It's like the final chapter of a good book. I love ending my year with friends.

1 comment:

Wencked said...

ME TOO!!! I love Christmas card. I haven't had the heart to take mine down yet. I will be sad too. I move all the ones with pics to the fridge for the year and put the olds ones in a photo box.