Tuesday, December 30, 2008

When we go to Grandma and Grandpa's house for Christmas, Grandma's table is filled with sweets. It's a real buffet of yummy-ness. I usually skimp on the meal and pig out on dessert. It's a little bit of heaven on earth.

So when I go, I don't like to go empty handed. I am, after all, going to eat my weight in wine cake, pecan pie, and cookies. I like to contribute.

This year I discovered these yummy little treats at my friend Chera's open house. One of the other ladies had made them and I couldn't stop eating them. They looked easy enough, so I thought I'd make them with the kids.

First you take square pretzels and lay them out on the cookie sheet. (Is it "lay" or "lie"? I'm sure my readers who have a better grasp of the English language will be happy to correct me...)

Anyway, the placing of the pretzels was extremely important to the Doodlebug. She wanted them to line up and make nice little rows. When the Nutty Papa came along and dumped pretzels on her cookie sheet, she let him have it. "That's not right!" I didn't know I had such a perfectionist on my hands.

Next you put these little candy discs on top of the pretzels. I searched all over for these little things. I finally found them in the Christmas aisle at Walmart. They had these and the little plastic molds. So I grabbed a bag of each color; red, white and green.

After all the pretzels have received their splash of color, you put them in the oven just long enough the soften the candy disc thing. We liked 5 minutes on 350. That was just enough. You have to be careful not to melt them threw though. That's a mess!
Once the candy is soft, you take them out of the oven and put peanut M&Ms in there. Why peanut? I don't know. That's how the lady at the party made them. I suppose you could make the regular ones. But I think the peanut adds to the salty part of the salty sweet flavor.

And here's the final product. You can see which ones are the Doodlebug's. She insisted on having her peanut stand straight up. It was cute. She wouldn't let her Daddy help either because he didn't "do it right".

Whew! Perfectionists!

No comments: