Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Weird-itis

So harvest has begun. You got that, right? What I haven't told you is what's happened to the nuts. Apparently, something snuck into the orchard in the last week to 10 days and got a hold of the nuts and messed 'em up.

Here's what I'm seeing in the orchard right now. I'm shakin' trees, and nuts are fallin' but they are comin' from this...


Funky lookin' shuck, huh? Should be pretty and green... but it's this. Weird-itis is The Great Pecan Man's official diagnosis. The Pecan Doctor, however, thinks it's a fungus. And when you open those nuts in those shucks, you get this...

Thin, wafery, pecans. (Notice the lovely black thumb nail. That's from impatience. If you are too impatient to wait for a knife to cut into shucks, and you use your nail, the oil from the shucks turns your skin, and fingernails, black. Lovely.) Anyway, not all the pecans look like this. I have some of this weirditis on all the trees. But I also have this on all the trees:

Beautiful. Masterful. Perfect. It gives me great joy to see these beauties hangin' up there in those trees. To know that I took such good care of those babies. I did something right. I sprayed at the right time. I watered at the right time. And for my efforts, they reward me with those nice, plump, healthy shucks.

And then there's this. I guess it's God's way of remindin' me, I got a lot to learn!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Congratulations on your pretty pecan babies!