Thursday, August 7, 2008

Gramps

This is Gramps. He's my Dad's Dad. He'll be 88 in September. And I love him.


He is the reason for the crazy 18 hour drive in the car with 4 kids to Minneapolis family vacation. I wanted to see him. It had been 4 years since I'd seen him and that's just too long. It was wonderful. It was great to see him, and all my other cousins, aunts, uncles and their families. Everyone was there. (Except Jill. She didn't come. Loser. And Amy. She didn't come either. Slacker.)


Seems it was divine intervention, this trip. See, my fun lovin' Aunt Donna called me as we were on our 18 hour drive in the car up to Minneapolis. She said Gramps wasn't doing so well. She took him to the VA hospital and his kidneys are tired. Run out. Pooped. They are slowin' down and slowin' him down. And apparently they are both scheduled to stop in 6 months. This was a surprise. None of us were expecting this. But He knew. That's why we gathered together, one last time with Gramps. To celebrate. To remind him what he did.



He always says that. "I did all this."


He did a lot more that just "all this" family. He served his country. He fought in World War II and was captured. It was ugly. It was scary. And he survived. He's a hero. He's my hero.


I love Gramps. He's a tolerant man. He's a patient man. He's a loving man. If you had met Grandma, you'd understand. He says it best: "She was easy to love, and hard to live with." (And when he told the Nutty Papa this, the Nutty Papa smiled knowingly. What's THAT about?!?)



When I'm with Gramps, I want to sit in his lap and just be. Just loved. I'm so thankful for my Gramps.

No comments: