Thursday, June 26, 2008

A Lesson on Being Boys

Our Friendly Cotton Pickin' Neighbors were with their Dad working on the farm the other day. They saw us outside and came over for a visit. They are such good boys, I'm always glad to have them come over. Plus, they love to play outside and usually get my kids outside with them.

On this particular day, the kids were outside driving whatever vehicle they could find. They had the tricycle, bikes, and the little gator out driving in the mud puddles created by the irrigation pipes. We haven't seen rain in over 2 months so the mud was exciting.

While they were playing outside, the baby was taking his nap. I went inside to check on the baby and this is what I found when I came back outside.

Those Crazy Cotton Pickin' Neighbors were covered in mud! They had been driving the vehicles through the mud in search of one that would go from one side of the puddle to the other. And as you can see, nothing made it. So when they'd get stuck, they'd just climb off the vehicle and go fetch a new something to ride through the mud in. Apparently, when they would climb off the stuck vehicle, they'd get a little muddy. After a little mud here and a little mud there, they just gave in to it and got all muddy.


And I mean, all muddy. If they had been in there with a bunch of pigs, they'd have done themselves proud. They were muddy from head to toe! And just to make sure it really was from head to toe,

They just laid down and rolled around. They were having the best time! If I hadn't been holdin' the baby, I would have jumped in there with them! It brought back memories of going to Mudd Races and watching the cars get all muddy and hoping they'd get me too. Mud is so fun!


And while I'm standing there laughing and having a grand time, what do you think my kids were doing? They were standing on the sidelines watchin'. Lookin' at these two like they were from another planet. I'm sad to say, my two oldest children are a bit prissy when it comes to getting dirty. They don't like it. They get it from their Dad. The Nutty Papa is OK with getting dirty if he knows he's going somewhere he's going to get dirty. But if he gets messy unexpectedly, watch out! Needless to say, I do a lot of unnecessary laundry in the Nutty Forest.


While the Crazy Cotton Pickin' neighbors were gettin' muddy, they wanted to make sure they got it all. So Big Brother dumped the coupe on it's side and slid his face through the mud in the process. Crazy!


It may look awful but it's great for the complexion!

And I forgot to mention the best part. As I was walking out of the house to discover this mud fest, the Friendly Cotton Pickin' Farm Mama showed up. Here I am, offerin' to keep her boys. It's my responsibility to keep them safe. And as every Mom knows, there's an unwritten rule to watchin' someone else's kids... you keep them clean.

But you know what that Crazy Cotton Pickin' Farm Mama did? She laughed! She bent over and just laughed. And I joined her. The more we laughed, the muddier they got. And it was fun!

Finally, it was time to clean up. Chojuk, the king of the water hose, was happy to help. And before I knew it, Big Brother had stripped down to his undies. Chojuk had a ball hosin' off his buddy. He just wasn't gettin' the job done. So Big Brother grabbed that hose and decided to take care of it himself.


And that's when the fun really began! Who would have known sprayin' yourself in the face could be so much fun?!?


Pow! Right in the eye!

Hey, Ma! Did you see that?!?


Then Big Brother decided Little Brother needed some help too. So he started hosin' off Little Brother. They were having a grand ol' time! Laughin', sprayin' each other, gettin' good and wet.


Finally, enough was enough and the Friendly Cotton Pickin' Mama stepped in to take over. Notice her nice outfit. The Friendly Cotton Pickin' Mama isn't a cotton picker. She's a fancy mortgage worker who has nice clothes. She's always dressed beautifully. She gets it from her Mama. You should see her. I ran into her once at the grocery store and she looked awesome. I was embarrassed to be in my t-shirt and shorts. Fancy, I'm tellin' ya! And she's a great Mama! Notice how she sprays her boys off while holdin' my baby. You gotta love a Mama that takes charge.

And not to be left out, my two bugs got in on the action too. In fact, if I had waited a few more minutes, the Doodlebug would have waded a little further into that mud puddle too. She got in up to her knees. So the Snugglebug hosed off the Doodlebug. But he got mad about getting his crocs wet. Prissy!


Notice the Little Brother in the background going tinkle. Nothin' like havin' a couple boys over to show you how to be a boy.

2 comments:

Chera said...

Too funny! Looks like alot of fun to me!!

Just Pure Lovely said...

Those are such great shots of their (muddy) fun childhood! I love that they were allowed to play in the mud freely! I'm hosting a photography link exchange today at http://justpurelovely.typepad.com . Feel free to join in!

I found you through FreelyEducate.com. Thanks for visiting!