Thursday, June 12, 2008

I'm in the Naughty Corner

My dear friend from way back in my Alaska days called today. "You haven't posted on your blog lately and I just wanted to make sure you were OK."

I didn't think anyone would miss me. AW WWW!

No, the ground hasn't opened up and swallowed me. I'm still here. But AT&T has put me in the naughty corner. Let me explain.

So I got the iPod Shuffle for Mother's Day, right? I immediately began downloading pod casts so I could get a little inspiration during my day. Fold the clothes. Listen to a podcast. Wash the dishes. Again. Podcast. I found one that I particularly liked called Catholic in a Small Town and decided I needed to catch up. I downloaded all 86 episodes.

Then I get a note from AT&T saying I had downloaded too much and if I didn't cease immediately, they were going to slow my speed down to make me stop. Eh Gad! Who would have known there was such a thing?!? It makes sense, in hindsight. However, at the time of download, all I could think about was getting more.

So I stopped. I didn't download a thing for 2 weeks. June arrives and I think, "Cool. New month. They'll reset the counter and I can start downloading again." And off I went. I was pacing myself this time as I didn't want to get in trouble again. So I only downloaded 100 MB of pod casts.

Then I got the note.

"Your AT&T Internet access speeds have been slowed down in accordance with our satellite operator’s Fair Access Policy (FAP)... You have used more bandwidth in the last 30 days than is allowed on your AT&T plan’s Usage Threshold. This is commonly caused by the downloading and/or uploading of large files or large quantities of files."

Oops. I guess they don't start me over at the beginning of the month.

So I'm in time out. My computer speed is back to the dark ages of dial up. Downloading one photo is taking over an hour and I just don't have the patience for that. And I can't have a post without pictures. After all a picture says a thousand words... and often much better than I can. Plus, I didn't think anyone would miss me.

Fast forward to today. Tesa calls. "Did someone die? Are you OK? I miss your blog!" You do? You read it? So you're the one! Thank you.

So if anyone else out there misses me, I'm still here. And I miss you too. I'll be back in about a week. And man, do I have a lot to tell you!

No comments: