Sunday, May 4, 2008

Updates

Remember this guy. He's our Mystery Mammal. We learned that he's a gopher. A few days after posting, I got an amusing email from one of my brothers-in-law, the vet. He correctly identified Digger immediately, of course, and reminded me of my favorite movie gopher. Just think Caddyshack! "I'm alright. Nobody worries about me."

Anyway, my girlfriend Missie called me the other day all flustered and concerned about Digger. (Not really. She really just called to chat. But isn't it more interesting to think she was concerned about my little pet gopher?) Anyway, on Thursday The Nutty Papa, Chojuk, and my Snugglebug drove our little Digger over to our Friendly Cotton Pickin' Neighbor's great big cotton field and let him go. The boys tell me he cautiously climbed out of his Bed and Breakfast home where all was provided him and re-entered the wild. He turned too look back at the boys, as if to say, "Thank you for the safe place to sleep, where carrots and potatoes fell from the sky and water was plentiful. You were great hosts." Then he crawled over to another hole in the ground and disappeared. (Again, not really. He just scampered into a hole. But wouldn't it be interesting if he actually appreciated the food and safe home we provided?) My Snugglebug was disappointed we weren't going to keep him forever, but the Nutty Papa reminded him how sad he'd feel if he had been the gopher, kept in a bucket away from his family and friends. It didn't register. I hope that we gave that little guy some fun memories to share with his family and friends. Just imagine him sitting in his little tunnel with all the little gopher boys and girls enjoying the story of how Grandpa Digger survived his encounter with the 2 legs.

Remember my neighbors, Mr. and Mrs. Barn Swallow? They're still there. I am reminded regularly by the Nutty Papa how crazy I am for letting them move in. But I'm a dreamer.
I have visions of watching the eggs for 11-13 days, seeing them hatch, watching the little jr. Barn Swallows eat and grow and eventually leave the nest. I just think that's going to be so cool! So I'm not giving in on this one. Mr. and Mrs. Barn Swallow are staying, dadgummit! They have made a little progress. They build in the mornings when it's cool and then disappear for the afternoons. And by sun down they are back again getting all cozy and comfortable for bed. I'll keep you posted about the babies...
Then there's this guy. My enemy. He's arrived alright. According to my local entomology department, it's almost time to spray the little buggers. Here's how I've been seeing them lately...
Stuck in my trap! Mwahaha! One small step in the pest control department. If only I could catch them all...

Well, I believe those are all the updates from the Nutty Forest. If I left something out, be sure to let me know. I hate leaving you all in suspense.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I hope you don't have cats. We once had a mama bird build a nest on our porch and we gleefully watched until there were three cheeping little babies in there. Then our cat ate them all. Lesson in horror for the kiddos.