Thursday, April 24, 2008

The War Begins

I know you have been eagerly anticipating my first Pecan Nut Casebearer catch. You wake up every morning and wonder, "Is this the day that Nutty Mama will catch her first bug?" It fills your every thought... every dream....


Well, the time has come!
It seems like just yesterday that we hung out the traps.

My little helpers and I set the traps ever so carefully. Then every day, for the past month, we have checked our 8 traps, only to be disappointed by the emptiness we found.


Monday, he made his appearance. Poor little guy. I drove over to trap 1. Nothing. 2. Nothing. 3. 4. 5. Oh, no. Another dull disappointing day. 6. -gasp- What's this?!? Casebearer. Stuck to the icky sticky bottom of the trap. Trying to wriggle his way free. 1. I caught 1. Make no mistake there will be more.

What happens next you ask? I keep counting. I keep checking. When I hit a peak, then I give it about 10 days for the little suckers to lay eggs and hatch. Then I go after them with my guns, er, I mean my Monster, a blazin'!

In the meantime, I have one more thing to look for. Eggs. I have to search for eggs. See it in that picture? It's the little round whitish thing in the middle of the photo, under that little flap of green. (This picture is magnified for your viewing pleasure.) They'll be layin' those eggs on my little precious nutlets. A perfect feeding ground for a baby casebearer worm. They hatch and start eatin' my precious little nuts. They're my precious. MY precious! Leave 'em alone!!

Let the war begin!!

1 comment:

roan-inish said...

Then I will be rootin' for you. ;-)