Monday, April 28, 2008

Name that Mammal Contest

As we were leaving for Grandma's house yesterday, and I was locking up the door, I noticed a hole in the ground. Right by the back door. I don't like holes in the ground. You never know what's in them. Could be a snake...

I called The Nutty Papa over and asked him to investigate. Right when he did, this little guy popped his head out of the ground...

Hello little fellow! Initially, the Nutty Papa wanted to kill it. See, we have mounds of unearthed earth in our front yard, and back yard, and orchard... well, everywhere. The Nutty Papa is angry about this and wanted to take it out on this little fellow. That is until my 4 year old Snuggle Bug and animal lover came to it's rescue. He told The Nutty Papa that we should keep it, and the Nutty Papa, being the tender heart that he is, couldn't kill this guy in front of the Snuggle Bug, so a chase began. As soon as our little dirt digger saw he was being watched...
He high tailed it back into his tunnel. The Nutty Papa followed. The digger dug. Papa dug. Digger. Papa. Digger...
Papa. Until finally, the digger dug no more. He decided trying to dig away from the giant leather yellow thing was futile. So he decided to stand his ground and fight. He bit. He clawed. He bit some more. But the giant leather yellow thing would not go away. It could not be hurt. And the little digger was finally caught...
in a Jiff Peanut Butter jar. Poor little guy. He was digging and clawing trying to escape the jar. Once again, Snuggle Bug to the rescue. We found him a bucket in the garage. Threw some dirt in there. The Nutty Papa recommended a root for food so I got him a carrot and a little water. We set him up in the bucket and voila! Happy little digger.
Here are the Nutty boys and Papa with the digger in the jar. They enjoyed the excitement.

I'm happy to report, the little digger is still alive and well in the bucket in the garage. He is enjoying all my carrots and we gave him an old Pringles bottle to hide in for safety. He's content. And stinky.

But we said a contest, right? Here's the deal. If you can name that mammal you will win a free, all expenses paid night in the Nutty Forest. We'll provide the, uh-um, bed, dinner and breakfast. Leave your ideas in the comments section. Just please help us name this little guy.

I'm afraid his home is going to be my garage until The Nutty Papa knows what kind of digger this is!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Well, you've got me stumped. It doesn't look like a mole, vole, or shrew to me. I like the name "Digger".